Chicken and Rice is a deliciously simple comforting dish made in just one pot on the stovetop!
In this recipe, a very simple blend of chicken, mushrooms, rice, and peas simmer to make a quick cozy meal without being overly heavy.
This is a light simple stovetop version of a chicken rice casserole with a handful of veggies.
CHICKEN Chicken breasts or thighs work well in this dish. If you have leftover chicken, it can be added in the last few minutes of cooking so it doesn’t overcook.
VEGETABLES Thick slices of mushrooms & green peas are a great combination! If you’ve got other veggies like broccoli or asparagus, they work in this recipe too!
RICE Basmati rice is fragrant and cooks perfectly in this recipe. You can use your favorite type of rice but depending on the variety, cook time may need to be adjusted.
How to Make Chicken and Rice
Making this recipe is super easy, it comes together in just a few steps:
- Cook mushrooms and set aside.
- Soften onions, add chicken & brown. Add wine and reduce.
- Add mushrooms, broth, rice, & bay leaf to the pan. Cover & simmer.
- Remove from the heat, discard bay leaf. Stir in butter, peas and cream.
Top with Parm & serve immediately.
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Rice Soup
- Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- 4 Ingredient Chicken Rice Casserole
- Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Fried Rice Recipe
- Easy Cabbage Rolls
Did you make this Chicken & Rice? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Chicken and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced and divided
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs, diced
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup white wine optional
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth not low sodium
- 1 cup basmati rice uncooked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- 2/3 cup light cream
Cook mushrooms over medium heat with olive oil until tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Cook onions (use same pan as mushrooms) until softened, about 5 minutes. Season the chicken with poultry seasoning, thyme, and salt and pepper. Add chicken and garlic, cook 2-3 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned on the outside.
Add wine and cook 3-5 minutes or until wine is reduced to half.
Stir in the mushrooms, broth, rice, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer 18-20 or until rice is tender.
Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Stir in peas, butter and cream. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
Top with Parmesan cheese if using.