Broccoli Cheddar Soup is quick and extra cheesy with an amazing creamy broth and tons of flavor.
If you like Panera’s broccoli cheese soup, you’ll LOVE this homemade version. It comes together in about 30 minutes making it the perfect weeknight meal alongside some bread or dinner rolls.
BROCCOLI I use fresh broccoli but since it’s cooked down, frozen works too (no need to thaw first). Once cooked, you’ll want to reserve a bit of the broccoli and chop it to add some texture to the soup.
CHEESE This soup has 3 kinds of cheese, cream cheese for a creamy consistency and cheddar and parm for a punch of flavor. For the best flavor, be sure to use sharp cheddar.
BASE This base of this soup is made with broth and just a bit of cream. The broccoli is blended with the broth to add some body to the soup and it’s thickened with a tiny bit of cornstarch.
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
The best homemade broccoli cheese soup needs just a few fresh ingredients!
- Cook onion and garlic. Add broccoli, broth and seasonings (per recipe below) and simmer until tender.
- Remove a bit of the broccoli and chop it, blend the rest of the soup.
- Stir in cream and cream cheese and simmer a few minutes. Mix in the cheeses and the chopped broccoli. Enjoy!
Add the cream cheese while on the heat so it melts.
Shredded cheese can separate and curdle if overheated. Just like with cheese sauce or mac and cheese, remove the soup from the heat before stirring in the cheese. The heat from the soup will melt it and your soup will be smooth and creamy.
- I prefer the flavor of chicken broth but vegetable broth will work too.
- Sub out the cheese for your favorites, we love sharp cheddar. A milder cheese or cheddar will have a less cheesy flavor.
- Add a diced potato or even cauliflower or asparagus along with the broccoli.
- If you don’t want to use cream, evaporated milk works well. You can use regular milk but might need a bit extra cornstarch to thicken the soup.
Easy Hearty Soups
- Potato Leek Soup – ultimate comfort food
- Homemade French Onion Soup – classic recipe!
- Sweet Potato Soup – savory & creamy soup
- Creamy Asparagus Soup – delicious hot or cold!
- Homemade Lentil Soup – Hearty and healthy.
- Borscht Recipe (Beet Soup) – Family favorite
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cups broccoli fresh or frozen
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups light cream or evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup fresh parmesan cheese shredded
In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender.
Add broccoli, chicken broth, thyme and salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 6 minutes. Add cream cheese and cook 2 minutes more to soften.
Remove 1 cup of broccoli, coarsely chop and set aside. Using an immersion blender, blend remaining soup.
Combine cream and cornstarch.
Bring soup to a boil and whisk in cream mixture. Simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in 1 ¾ cups of the cheddar cheese, all of the parmesan cheese & reserved chopped vegetables. Garnish with additional cheese and serve immediately.
Other vegetables can be added to this recipe including cauliflower, red bell pepper and/or carrots.